Just another free Blogger theme

Powered by Blogger.

Monday, February 10, 2014


The gallery wall in the living room / office is up! It took a while, but I definitely think it was worth it :) I started with a push pin board that I made out of an old frame, you can read more here

While David and I were in Home Depot picking up wood to build the sofa table ... I found this image on Pinterest and thought that it would be a perfect solution for the gallery wall - so we grabbed materials for that and got to work!


Pinterest links here but I couldnt find the original image ...

We needed something that would be light to avoid the curtain wire sagging, so this was perfect!

Then David cut the frames with our fancy new saw - he has used it for the desk and chairs, the sofa table, and the tv stand (photos soon!) and so far he loves it!


1. Screen Mold (1/4" x 3/4" x 8) was selected to make the frames out of - We decided on a composite because it was about half the price of wood

2. After determining the size of the frames needed,  screen mold was cut on a 45 degree angle with the chop saw

3. frames were glued with super glue

4. After the glue dried, I primed and applied a top coat of spray paint (I waited about 30-45 minutes between coats)

5. To hang the art - I used a grommet kit to attach the wire between the paper and frame (thanks for the idea Flea Market Finds with Matthew Mead!)

I followed the directions on the package, except I used a hole punch instead of the tool provided because it was much easier, I would recommend!)

6. I used a rubber mallet to fasten the grommets in place

7. We hung Ikeas Dignitet curtain wire system and used Ikeas Riktig curtain clips at the top and we fastened two eye screws at the top of each frame to hang the wire from - making sure that it was tight!

8. We hung the frames and art with thin gauge wire, and attached them to the curtain clips (wire was simply twisted at the end to secure)

Finally, we used a level to help get everything straight!


The push pin board isnt hung on the curtain wire because it is too heavy ... 



I brushed on watercolor and then cut circles out with a 1" hole punch (thanks for the circle punch art idea Mer Mag!)


I made a print of special dates to us ... 


Annabelle on the top and my two sweet kitties that couldnt make the trip to CA (they are currently being spoiled by my parents and even turned my Dad into a cat lover :)


Some of my favorite pics of Annabelle playing fetch at the baseball field :)




Finally, I found a map of the US circa 1960s at a thrift store and put circle stickers on all the places that David and I have visited together - clever idea via Young House Love

and there you have it!

Cost Breakdown:

14 Frames - $20.60
Spray Paint - $7
Wire - $2.50
Eye Hooks - $4
Grommet Kit - $9
Curtain Rod and Clips - $15

Total Cost = $58.10

This idea worked perfectly for us since we are renting (less holes to patch when we leave!) and I love the shadows that are created by the floating frames!


Categories: , , , , , ,


Gallery Wall for the Living Room Office! ~ Woodworking beginner

0 comments:

Post a Comment